Sunday, April 1, 2012

Magic

"Why were you so different last term?" said Jill presently.  
"A lot of queer things happened to me in the hols," said Eustace mysteriously.  
"What sort of things?" asked Jill.  
Eustace didn't say anything for quite a long time. Then he said:  
"Look here, Pole, you and I hate this place about as much as anybody can hate anything, don't we?"  
"I know I do," said Jill.  
"Then I really think I can trust you."  
"Dam' good of you," said Jill.  
"Yes, but this is a really terrific secret. Pole, I say, are you good a believing things? I mean things that everyone here would laugh at?" 
"I've never had the chance," Said Jill, "but I think I would be."  
"Could you believe me if I said I'd been right out of the word - outside this world - last hols?"  
"I wouldn't know what you meant."  
"Well, don't let's bother about worlds then. Supposing I told you I'd been in a place where animals can talk and where there are - er - enhancements and dragons - and - well, all the sorts of things you have in fairy -tales." Scrubb felt terribly awkward as he said this and got red in the face. 
"How would you get there?" said Jill. She also felt curiously shy.  
"The only way you can - by Magic"

No comments:

Post a Comment